Bulletin 2013-18: Updated Edition of Directive 017: Measurement Requirements for Oil and Gas Operations Issued
VIEW PDF (35.25 KB)
Updated Edition of Directive 017: Measurement Requirements for Oil and Gas Operations Issued
May 15, 2013
This bulletin announces the release of an updated edition of Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB) Directive 017: Measurement Requirements for Oil and Gas Operations, which replaces the edition issued on September 11, 2012, and is effective immediately. The updated edition clarifies some of the existing requirements and some requirements have been removed.
The May 2013 edition of Directive 017 is available on the ERCB website, www.ercb.ca. Printed copies of the directive may be purchased from ERCB Information Services, Suite 1000, 250 – 5 Street SW; telephone: 403-297-8311 or 1-855-297-8311 (toll free); fax: 403-297-7040; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the version of Directive 017 available on the ERCB website, all changes made since the previous edition (September 2012) appear in blue type.
Updates and Clarifications
- Changed the Petroleum Registry of Alberta (PRA) to Canada’s Petroleum Information Network (PETRINEX).
- Section 1.7.3(ii) and (iv): Added “at the injection site.”
- Section 2.6: Added that tank proving may be used for live oil/condensate delivery point proving.
- Section 2.6.1: Clarified that internal diagnostics cannot replace master meter proving.
- Section 2.7.1: Clarified that “the amount of shrinkage must be determined either by physically degassing the prover oil volumes or by calculating the shrinkage based on an analysis of a sample of the live oil or a software simulation.”
- Section 22.214.171.124: Added to the first bullet “or intermittent” after continuous.
- Section 2.12.1: Clarified that annual calibration of automatic tank gauges is required to ensure that inventory measurements match Section 14.7.4 requirements.
- Section 3.1.4: Added that heavy oil battery includes subtype 322 with heavy oil outside the oil sands areas.
- Section 3.2.1: Clarified that only gas metering difference is allowed for subtypes 321 and 341.
- Sections 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52: Clarified that the group oil/bitumen battery must have the separation and measurement equipment, including the tanks but excluding the wellheads, on the same lease site.
- Section 184.108.40.206: In the fourth bullet, removed “or equivalent” to three-phase separation.
- Section 220.127.116.11: Removed “(except for gas group batteries)” from the first sentence of the second paragraph.
- Section 4.3.1, item 3: Added “upstream” to temperature measurement requirement.
- Section 18.104.22.168: Removed “a copy of the chart calibration report is kept on site or readily available for on-site inspection if it is a manned facility.”
- Sections 22.214.171.124: Changed reference from Section 12.3.2 to Section 12.2.2.
- Sections 126.96.36.199: Changed from GOR factor to GIS factor for GIS volume calculations
- Sections 188.8.131.52 and 14.10.1: Added “…any change to the computer program or algorithms that affects the flow calculation evaluated on a per software version basis.”
- Section 5.4.1, item 2: Removed the requirement to apply for approval if there is a mix of Crown and Freehold royalty holders. Approval, however, is still required if there is any Freehold objection.
- Section 184.108.40.206(a): Added “…if there is any Freehold objection.”
- Section 220.127.116.11: Added double proration schematic and accounting procedure.
- Section 7.4: Added “or other equipment.”
- Section 8.2.1: Clarified sample point and sample probe requirement.
- Section 14.7.4: Indicated that the frequency requirement for calibrating automatic tank gauges is in Section 2.12.
- Section 15.2.4: Added “injection and disposal wells cannot be in the same ABIF facility except for subtype 506.”
Any comments or questions may be directed to Bill Cheung, of the Field Surveillance and Operations Branch, by phone at 403-297-8798 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
<original signed by>
Field Surveillance and Operations Branch