Our estimated processing time for this application is 30 business days. See our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
Alternative storage typically refers to an aboveground synthetically-lined wall storage system (AWSS). Companies must apply for approval to use alternative storage if they are planning to use storage systems that do not meet the requirements in
- Directive 055: Storage Requirements for the Upstream Petroleum Industry, and
- Directive 055 (Addendum): Interim Requirements for Aboveground Synthetically-Lined Wall Storage Systems, Updates to Liner Requirements, and Optional Diking Requirements for Single-Walled Aboveground Storage Tanks.
Companies must receive our approval before starting construction or operations.
Alternative storage applications are more common since the release of the addendum to Directive 055, which allows for AWSS use. Section 2.5 of Directive 055 does not specify these AWSS requirements.
This checklist applies to
- general alternative storage, and
- an AWSS on an alternative site.
Submit an Application
Companies must submit alternative storage applications through our Digital Data Submission (DDS) system. We will register each application and assign a reference number.
By submitting an application, the company accepts that its information is no longer confidential.
- We share all applications on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process.
- Anyone who believes they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review. We look at
- whether the applied-for well or facility site falls within an area covered by the Lower Athabasca Regional Plan or the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan. If so, our review will be more stringent; and
- whether the request for alternate storage meets our environmental protection and safety requirements (under Directive 055).
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.