Our estimated processing time for this application is 30 business days. See Land Use - CEP on our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
We regulate the use of public land for coal exploration activities under the following legislation:
- Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act – The Code of Practice for Exploration Operations is made under this act.
- Public Lands Act – Section 20 authorizes use of public land for exploration.
Under section 3.1 of the Code of Practice for Exploration Operations, companies must notify us of coal exploration activities on private/patented lands.
Coal companies may apply for exploration programs without having the coal rights, but most companies do have these rights before applying.
We recommend applicants read Manual 008: Oil Sands and Coal Exploration Application Guide, which details our application requirements, processes, and timelines for all coal exploration programs.
Submit an Application
Companies must email their applications for coal exploration on public land to AERSurfaceActivityApplication@aer.ca.
Companies must submit their notifications for coal exploration on private/patented land to EPEA.WA.Applications@aer.ca.
For both public and private lands, companies must provide all documentation listed in Schedules 1 and 2 of the Code of Practice for Exploration Operations.
- We share all applications on public land on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process. We do not issue public notices for coal exploration activities on private land.
- Anyone who believes that they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review.
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.