Our estimated processing time for this application is 50 business days. See Waste Facility / Component on our timeline spreadsheet for updates.
Purpose of the Application
Companies must apply to construct and operate new oilfield waste management facilities in Alberta. We authorize this application under the
Submit an Application
Companies must submit their applications through our Digital Data Submission (DDS) system. We will register each application and assign a reference number.
By submitting an application, the company accepts that its information is no longer confidential.
- We share all applications on our Public Notice of Application page to encourage public participation in the approval process.
- Anyone who believes they may be directly and adversely affected by an application can file a statement of concern (SOC). If we receive an SOC, it may take us longer to process the application.
- We will assign the application to a subject matter expert for initial review. If information is missing (i.e., the application is not complete), we will close the application. Otherwise, we will proceed with a full technical review. We look at
- the location of the applied-for facility site. If it falls within an area covered by the Lower Athabasca Regional Plan or the South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, our review will be more stringent; and
- proposed site conditions, techniques for managing oilfield waste and its residuals, storage devices, facility operations and layout, environmental monitoring systems (soil and groundwater), and resource conservation.
- We may request additional information (through a supplemental information request) to complete our technical review.
- We will decide to approve, close, or deny the application. If we close it, the applicant may reapply without prejudice. If we deny it, the applicant can file an appeal through our appeal process.
- We will provide the applicant with a link to the letter with our decision, which is accessible for 30 days through the Integrated Application Registry. We will also share our decision on our Publication of Decision page.
Please note that additional approval from the AER or other government agencies may be required to operate a facility.