Energy companies in Alberta must test their wells on a regular basis to
- measure each well’s productivity and performance over time,
- manage oil and gas reservoirs,
- identify resources that are trapped beneath the surface, and
- meet reservoir production and pressure requirements.
To perform a high-quality well test, companies must follow the technical procedures listed in our requirements. When each test is over, we require companies to submit their results to us.
Our Detailed Requirements
- Subsurface Order No. 1B – Montney-Lower Doig
- Subsurface Order No. 3 – Duvernay
- Subsurface Order No. 4 – Coalbed methane
- Subsurface Order No. 5 – Cardium
Compliance and Enforcement
We conduct regular inspections and audits to make sure that companies are following our requirements. If we find that a company isn’t complying, we’ll take the appropriate compliance and enforcement actions and share our findings on the Compliance Dashboard.
We regularly share well testing schedules in Alberta as well as submission procedures for companies to follow.