The following maps, map viewers, and shapefiles allow users to easily locate various energy projects, activities, and approvals across Alberta. Some maps on this page are also available on OneStop, our new application processing technology.
Interactive Maps, Map Viewers, and Other Spatial Tools
Our interactive maps, map viewers, and spatial tools are designed to let you browse our data in an easy-to-use format. Built-in toolbars allow you to quickly locate an area of interest or an energy activity and find associated information.
- AER Order System Map Viewer
- Abandoned Well Map
- Coal Mine Map Viewer
- Dam and Pond Map
- Scheme Approval Area Map Viewer
- Well Spacing Map Viewer
- OneStop Public Map Viewer
- Fox Creek Area Water Allocation Map
- Base of Groundwater Protection Query Tool
- Disposition Spatial Processing Tool
Shapefiles and Other Spatial Data
Our downloadable shapefiles provide spatial data for certain geological features and industry activities. All files are in ZIP format and are updated monthly unless other stated.
- AER Order System Shapefile
- Abandoned Well Spatial Data Shapefile
- Revised Abandoned Well Locations Shapefile
- Coal Mines in Alberta Shapefile
- Facility List Shapefile (ST102) NEW
- Field Surveillance Shapefile NEW
- Scheme Approval Shapefile
- Enhanced Pipeline Shapefile and CSV files [ZIP]. For CSV files, please refer to this layout document.
- List of Wells in Alberta Shapefile (ST37 - updated monthly)
- details and other file formats for this data is found on the ST37 webpage.
- Table of Formations, Alberta (2015)
- See change log for latest Table of Formations updates. [PDF] - September 2015
- Zones Available for Shale Gas Fluids (2010)
Find More Maps and Shapefiles
Refer to our Products and Services Catalogue for a full list of maps and shapefiles, as well as information on file sizes, prices, and available formats.
The AER’s Alberta Geological Survey (AGS) has a large selection of maps of Alberta depicting surficial and bedrock geology, drift thickness, groundwater/hydrogeology, and mineral resources. To find out more, visit AGS’s Geological Maps of Alberta.
If you have questions about these tools, or notice information is missing, please contact our Customer Contact Centre.